- Practice Self Control: If you are a dominating personality, recognize that you need to back off and give your kid some space.
- Avoid Parent-Kid Comparisons: You did things your way, but don't be bothered or vocal if your kids want to do things differently, as long as they are competent enough to run the dealership.
- Accept Them for Who They Are: It is one thing to mold them when they are young, but when they are full-fledged adults, you can't expect them to change significantly.
- Be Sensitive: Parents who are will find their children open to parental involvement and advice.
- Avoid “Seagull Management”: That's when a parent flies in from a retirement spot, makes a mess of things at the dealership and then leaves.
Five Tips for Achieving a Smooth Succession
Practice Self Control: If you are a dominating personality, recognize that you need to back off and give your kid some space.