Skip navigation
Mirai on sale in California late this year
<p><strong>Mirai on sale in California late this year.</strong></p>

Toyota Announces Mirai Dealers

Eight California Toyota dealers will begin taking orders for the hydrogen-fuel-cell sedan this summer.

Toyota reveals the first dealers that will sell its Mirai hydrogen fuel-cell vehicle.

The group includes eight Toyota dealers in California, where the car initially is to launch later this year.

As expected, the eight were chosen for their experience selling past Toyota models with advanced technology, as well as their proximity to hydrogen-refueling stations.

In Northern California, Toyota of Sunnyvale, Stevens Creek Toyota in San Jose, Roseville Toyota and San Francisco Toyota will sell the Mirai.

In Southern California, Toyota of Orange, Toyota Santa Monica, Tustin Toyota and Longo Toyota of El Monte will retail the 4-door FCV, which begins at $57,500.

But Toyota believes only 10% of Mirai customers will purchase the car. The remaining 90% are expected to lease it, for $3,649 down and $499 per month for 36 months.

Interested Californians can place an order for a Mirai this summer by going to, although Toyota indicates it will conduct a vetting process that will place the car only with “select, eligible customers.” Other automakers selling FCVs have relegated sales to those who live nearest hydrogen refueling stations, which in the U.S. are concentrated in Northern and Southern California.

Production of the car, which has a 300-mile (483-km) range, will be limited, with Toyota pegging U.S. sales volume at 3,000 from 2015 through 2017.

Toyota has said it will begin selling the Mirai in the Northeastern U.S. in 2016, a region in which most states follow California’s emissions rules.

[email protected]

Hide comments


  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.