In its 20 years of providing roadside service, here are AutoVantage's Top 5 problems on the road, garnered from more than 1 million roadside assistance dispatches:
- Breakdowns requiring tows (60%)
- Lockouts (12%)
- Jumpstarts (10%)
- Tire changes (9%)
- Fuel deliveries (1%)
Other auto insights from the experts at AutoVantage:
- Car life spans continue to improve. In 1977, half of the vehicles had a life expectancy of 10.5 years and 107,000 miles. By 1990, 50% survived from 12.5 years and 127,000 miles, and now average car life expectancies are 13 years and 152,000 miles.
- It's estimated that there's nearly one car for every American of driving age.
- Median automobile age is nine years.
- Number of those reaching driving age is the largest since the Baby Boom.
- Average new car spend: $22,600.
- Average used car spend: $9,000.
- Average auto loan length: five years.
- Estimated cars in use in the U.S: 135 million.
- Average annual car maintenance costs: $650.